Violence breaks out at rapper’s memorial

LOS ANGELES – A memorial created to honor the life and legacy of slain rapper and community activist Nipsey Hussle turned violent Monday night. 

Hundreds of fans gathered outside the Grammy-nominated rapper’s South Los Angeles apparel store, The Marathon Clothing, a day after Hussle was gunned down in the same location. 

As violence broke out, people were trampled. It’s unclear how many are injured, but at least one patient was in critical condition, and five patients have been transported to the hospital, according to the the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The LAFD said there was a reported shooting call at 8:14 p.m., although police later said reports of shots fired “do not appear to be accurate.” 

“We had at least one patient in critical condition that was transported at the initiation of the incident, but I cannot confirm the type of injuries suffered at this point,” Margaret Stewart, spokesperson for the LAFD, told USA TODAY. “We have over 65 firefighters on scene.

The LAFD is triaging multiple patients at the scene. “The number continues to change,” said Stewart.

Earlier, ABC7 reporter Veronica Miracle tweeted that “A HUGE stampede of people rushed out of the memorial area. People thought they heard something break or a loud noise and started running.”

Police said they are trying to “restore order” and have asked that those gathered to leave the area. 

“Our men and women are on scene and making every effort to protect everyone in attendance at the Nipsey Hussle vigil,” the Los Angeles Police Department tweeted Monday night.  “Reports of shots fired at the vigil do not appear to be accurate. We do have injured in the chaos and are attempting to restore order.”

A following tweet added: “We understand the community is mourning and we feel your loss. We are asking for everyone to follow the officers directions and disperse from the immediate area.”

LAPD public information office Josh Rubenstein estimated 300 to 400 people had gathered in front of Hussle’s store to mourn the rapper earlier in the evening. 

“At some point things got a little chaotic, there may have been a fight that broke out in the crowd,” Rubenstein told ABC7, adding that some glass bottles may have been thrown. But, he added that “there were no shots heard by any of the officers” on the ground.

This story is developing …



Source link