Ohio deputy killed, another injured during overnight standoff

One Ohio sheriff’s deputy was killed and another was injured during a deadly standoff that ended early Sunday morning in Clermont County.

The officers originally responded around 7 p.m. to a 911 call from a male who said there were subjects in his apartment that were refusing to leave, Captain Jeff Sellars with the Clermont County Sheriff’s Department said during a press conference early Sunday morning. The subject also told officers that he had weapons in his home.

Deputy Bill Brewer was shot at approximately 10:30 p.m. in what was police described as a “barrage” of gunfire from a suspect barricaded inside Royal Oaks Apartments in Pierce Township.

Brewer died as a result of gunshot wounds after being transported to Anderson Mercy Hospital, according to a news release. He is survived by a wife and 5-year-old son.

His body is being transported from the Hamilton County Coroner’s Office to Nurre Funeral Home in Amelia, said Cincinnati Police Department Lt. Steve Saunders.

The procession departed at 11 a.m.

“Deputy Brewer gave his life attempting to help a person who was admittedly suicidal,” said Clermont County Sheriff Steve Leahy. “This will forever change the atmosphere of the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office.”

Another deputy, Lt. Nick DeRose, was shot in the ankle during the standoff at Royal Oak Apartments, said David C. O’Neil, spokesman for Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost’s office. DeRose was treated and released at University of Cincinnati Hospital Medical Center.

O’Neil said SWAT team members apprehended the suspect this morning from the middle floor of an apartment building.

The suspect, who is in police custody, was identified as 23-year-old Wade Edward Winn. Winn has been charged with aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder, according to court documents.

O’Neil said officials are declining to disclose details about where Winn is being currently held.

At 7 a.m. Sunday, fire was reported at the building. Officials say it broke out as a result of the standoff.

Follow Sheila Vilvens, Chris Mayhew and Cameron Knight on Twitter: @SVilvens, @reportermayhew and @ckpj99

Source link