California man awarded $80 million

A U.S. jury has awarded $80 million in damages to a California man in a high-stakes trial over his claim that Roundup weed killer caused his cancer.

The six-person jury in San Francisco returned the amount for 70-year-old Edwin Hardeman on Wednesday. The same jury previously found that Roundup was a substantial factor in his non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Agribusiness giant Monsanto is facing thousands of similar lawsuits nationwide. Monsanto says studies have established that the active ingredient in its widely used weed killer is safe.

A different jury in August awarded another man $289 million. A judge later slashed the award to $78 million, and Monsanto has appealed.

Hardeman’s case may be more significant because the judge is overseeing hundreds of Roundup lawsuits and has deemed it a “bellwether trial.”

Pesticides in food: Strawberries, spinach, kale have the most residue, a new report finds

Drug settlement: Oxycontin maker reaches $270M settlement for painkiller’s role in opioid crisis

“Clearly, the testimony that informed the jury’s decision was Bayer-Monsanto hiding Roundup’s carcinogenic properties, manipulating the science and cozying-up with EPA so it would not have to warn consumers of its dangerous product,” said Ken Cook, president of the Environmental Working Group, in a statement.

The non-profit, which is widely known as EWG, commissioned a study last year, which found glyphosate in nearly every sample of popular oat-based cereals and other oat-based food marketed to children.

“Bayer-Monsanto has known for decades the cancer-causing properties of Roundup and I applaud the jury for holding the company accountable for failing to warn consumers of the known danger,” Cook said Wednesday.

This story will be updated.

Dog food recall: FDA warns ‘serious threat to human and animal health’ in lots of Darwin’s Natural dog food

Avocado recall: California company recalls avocados as precaution against listeria: Is your fruit safe?

 

 

Source link